Guess what I forgot - an umbrella. I guess I thought all precipitation would be in the form of snow!
We weren't quite as productive today as we had planned to be last night! I just could not get up this morning and I've got the start of a sore throat. There were so many people coughing on the planes - I guess it's no wonder. I've got some Airborne and I'm going to take that tonight and hopefully nip this in the bud.
We went out exploring a bit today. We got some better photos of Independence Square and then we hopped on the Metro. The Metro is quite straight forward - there's only three lines. Just be sure to write down your starting point in Cyrillic so you can get back home. We went to the stop where you can walk to Kievo-Pecherskaya Lavra - which is a monastery. The church has beautiful gold domes. There are caves - but we were unable to find them! I'm sure others who have been there are probably laughing at us but we could not find any signs (in English) directing us where to go. We did go inside one of the churches and the gold icons were breath-taking. I think we need to pay our facilitator for a tour of Kiev and a tour of the monastery. We just could not work it out on our own! For those of you yet to travel - two words of advice - learn Russian! :o)
We just tried calling our facilitator and we could not work out the phone dialing! Good grief - we were calling for Kylie Minogue (see previous post)!! Now when we get frustrated at our lack of Russian speaking abilities we call out for Kylie Minogue! :o) We still have not worked it out - but thank goodness - Luba just called us. Our appointment is at 11:00 am tomorrow. Please send prayers for a successful appointment. For those of you traveling soon - it looks like when in Kiev you begin dialing with the 8 and then the rest of the number (leave off the 3). Luba is coming early tomorrow to help us buy a bottle of cognac for the appointment (Luba's suggestion)....not for us...but for the psychologist.
Another tip for those to travel soon - look at our photo of the groceries - and do NOT buy the "milk" - kefir that we bought! It's actually a fermented milk drink which is supposed to be good for you - but smells so bad we immediately poured it down the drain. The word for milk is молоко We thought that the picture of the cow on the front of the container meant milk...
I've heard that someone was trying to post a comment - to do this look at the bottom of this post and you'll see the "0 Comments" link. If you click on that then you will see an area where you can type in comments. I changed the settings so it does not require you to open a Google account now..so that will make it a little easier. If it doesn't work - just let us know.
Love to everyone!
10 comments:
Hi Tara and Mike:
I am not having any luck and Cathy called and she said she did not know anything about it. I tried what you said Tara and it did not work. There is a choose identity and it is Google Blogger, Other, Anonymous and Google/Blogger was already highlighted. I don't know whether I should check Other or Anonymous. I don't know if you are finding out that I am trying to send a message. We love you and Mike and talk so often today about you both. We cannot wait until tomorrow to hear how things are going. Our love, Gammy and Dianne
Hi Tara and Mike,
I hope that today went well! I am glad you all seem to have all the comforts of home only smaller. Good luck on the language barrier, talking louder makes you feel better doesn't it Mike.:) We send our love and prayers.
Sharon
Just found your blog from another blog; glad I did. Our prayers will be with you as we follow along on your journey.
We hope all goes well with your appt. tomorrow and thanks for all the pictures.
We'll be praying for an easy, smooth and quick appointment and that you'll be on your way to meet you new child soon! (Although, selfishly, I'd love for you to stick around Kiev for another week or so, so we could meet you in person! :)
We will definitely add your request to our prayers. I'm sure your appointment will go well.
Thanks for some of the heads up on using phones, buying milk, etc. I need to make a list of these for when we travel in Jan.
Believe it or not, I wish I was where you are and we are not adopting! I loved traveling in Ukraine, especially when we went back to visit. The churches especially are so beautiful. Enjoy your free time, there won't be much pretty soon. ;-)
Good luck figuring out those dual washing machine/dryer...I never could do it.
Stock up on nesting dolls, they are so much cheaper there and everyone loves them. Great Christmas gifts.
My prayers are with you for a smooth, positive adoption experience. Jeri, mom of Alex from Sumy
Thanks so much for the comments! Dianne and Gammy - I'm so glad you were able to post too. We leave for the appointment in an hour!! The butterflies in my stomach are now pterodactyls!
We're so excited to see our new nephew/s and or neice (maybe). Love and prayers for a successful trip.
It's not easy to buy something when you are not speaking Russian, but I think you are doing great! At this time you are probably done with your SDA appointment, I can't wait to hear the results!
Hi Mike and Tara.
Sorry to have missed you on your flying visit to Bournemouth. I imgaine it must be quite stressful but am sure it will be worth it. Unfortunately I do not believe they play baseball or American football in the Ukraine so you may have to settle for a 'Soccer' player. I may be able to help with a few tips!!!!.
Thinking of you both and on that note I will go and order my curry.
Love and best wishes
Richard, Sharon and the boys
Post a Comment