Friday, February 29, 2008

Progress on the Playground!

I think we've had some progress with Nicholas' play during recess. Hopefully I don't jinx it by making this post - but he's been playing well with the other kids. And - last night he came home as told us that he went up to the two boys who kicked snow in his face and punched him - and said "Friends?"!! Both boys said "yes" - so I hope that is behind us now. I was so proud of Nicholas for doing that!

The other week Nicholas was reading from a book and I had another "Riddle me this" moment... Why do publishers of children's books feel like they have to use silly fonts? Nicholas was having a hard time as the upper case "I" and the lower case "L" looked exactly the same. Also, the "k" actually looked more like an "r" in the font the book used. It's hard enough to learn to read without publishers throwing tricky fonts into the mix!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad there has been some progress. I do hope the teachers are explaining to the other students that they need to help Nicholas by being good role models and inviting him to join them!

I understand what you mean about different fonts used in children's books. It's like they want to make it hard.

Take care.
Love to all,
P & D

Anonymous said...

Hi to all:

We are anxious to hear how Mike makes out tomorrow with his appointment.

We think of you so often and it sounds like everything is going better with Nicholas. Everytime I think of him I smile. He sounds so cute and he gets so excited when he talks on the phone.

Bye for now,

Dianne