Monday, February 25, 2008

Mike's in a cast

Mike had his post-op appointment with his doctor today. It went well but I must say we were a bit confused... After his surgery they told us that he only needed to wear the boot when he was up and walking around. If he felt like he'd need to get up in the middle of the night - then he should also wear it to bed. So, since he doesn't usually get up - we didn't put on the boot. The assistant today gave us a look of horror that we weren't putting on the boot at night...! And she then pointed at us and said Mike should have a cast on his leg.

Well - honestly - I think the cast is a better idea. Especially with an 8 year old in the house who trips over his Dad's foot! :o) So - now Mike is in a blue cast from his toes to about 3 inches below his knee. The great thing is that he can walk on the cast - and so he's not hopping around anymore. I was getting so worried about his right foot as he developed a second bump on the tendon since he's been hopping to get around. I was fearing a scenario where his Achilles tendon on his right foot would rupture from all the hopping.

He's much more mobile now and that is wonderful!

We had a meeting with Nicholas' teacher, ESL teacher, and a Russian interpreter today. Nicholas has been having problems on the playground and has been too rough with some of the children. Today we got to find out what was happening. It sounds like the kids are either teasing him or making faces at him. He is responding by pushing or being rough or throwing pinecones at them. So, today we discussed alternatives to pushing or throwing things. He is to either turn away or go to his teacher. We are working on the phrase "He is being mean to me" and "She is being mean to me" so he can let the teacher know what is happening. The school was very nice about it and we are so impressed with all they have done and taught Nicholas in such a short amount of time.

He still loves school! His reading is coming along so well - and frankly he is reading way more than he's comprehending. Phonics is an amazing thing! Although - I must say - I didn't realize how strange English was until trying to teach it to Nicholas! :o)

I took Rosie to the vet on Saturday. I saw blood in her stool on Friday and was really worried. The vet did a good examination and is fairly sure it's coming from the mild case of giardia that she has. So - she's on antibiotics now. She has to go back to the vet this Saturday - and Nicholas has his second round of Hep shots on Saturday. Mike's next appointment is March 6. I feel like I'm running a taxi for taking our family to the doctor lately! :o)

Love to all...

3 comments:

ArtworkByRuth said...

Feet are such a delicate thing!
Will continue to pray for Nicholas's adjustment.
We are coming to Colorado the end of March so T can reunite with a boy from his baby orphanage. Email me if you can!

Tami said...

Poor Nicholas. Kids can be so mean. Great thinking on teaching him those phrases so he has an alternative to acting out.
And you might as well get used to the whole taxi cab thing because with kids that's what you are...a cab driver! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi to all:

It sounds like everything is looking up for Mike and Nicholas. I was so glad to hear Nicholas is getting the help and this will help him very much I am sure.

Glad to hear Mike is doing good and now you don't have to worry about him jumping around.

Take care and we love you all dearly and think and talk of you all so often. I am on my way to VA and will return to MD late Sunday afternoon. Maybe we will talk to you and see how everyone is doing. Gammy just loved to hear Nicholas and I do too.

Our love,

Dianne & Gammy