Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mike's Surgery

Mike did really well! He was a huge hit at the surgery center - the nurses all loved him. I had to fight them off with a stick to get him out of there! :o)

We arrived at the surgery center and all went really well - when I was called back to see him before surgery it was quite a shock. I've seen too many family members in hospital gowns over the past few years and I got upset to then see Mike in a gown on a gurney.

The doctor and anesthesiologist were really nice. I think it's the first time I've met an anesthesiologist who had a sense of humor. He decided to go with a nerve block in the back of Mike's leg and then a milder general anesthesia. I was then sent out to the waiting room as it was time for surgery. Mike had the operating room nurse laughing as he was talking about pirates on his ride to the OR - and the last thing I heard was the anesthesiologist talking about switching from a nerve block to Rum (shiver me timbers)! And this was before the general anesthesia! :o)

I was really worried in the waiting room as all the other waiting husbands and wives got word that their loved ones were in recovery. I just sat there looking at the clock - knowing he should have been out of surgery. I was finally called back and it turned out he was fine - the doctor just had to rush to his next operation and didn't have time to talk to me. Phew - I was so relieved to see Mike! The doctor stopped by and said that he removed a very hard, large amount of scar tissue on Mike's left Achilles Tendon. He sounded a bit surprised at how big it was.

Mike was apparently very chatty and inquisitive while in recovery and kept his nurse in stitches (sorry - bad pun). The nurse even told me that she will specifically request Mike as a patient when he comes back for his right foot!

The doctor decided to use a boot instead of a splint so that should make this first week a little easier. The boot is huge - like a giant ski boot.

The nerve block is still working and he's not yet had any pain - but the nurse warned to take a pain pill before going to bed tonight.

Thanks for the prayers everyone!! Mike is on the road to recovery with this foot - then in 4 to 6 weeks we'll go through it again for the right foot...

Nicholas has been very loving and attentive to Mike tonight. Nicholas and I spent an hour in bed with Mike watching TV (a real treat for Nicholas as we don't let him watch TV). Each time Mike would move just a little - Nicholas would sit straight up in bed and say "Dad - ok?". Then when it was time for Nicholas to go to bed he wanted Mike to put on the boot so that he could walk to Nicholas' room for our nightly bedtime story. Poor guy was crushed when I told him that Dad had to stay in bed.

Love to all...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi to all:

Was so glad to get the message and hear that Mike did well. You should have made a tape of all of this. It sounds like he was very well taken care of and had everyone in stitches.

I bet Nicholas is concerned as he probably does not understand what is going on with his "Dad"

Tara yes you have had your share of Drs., hospitals and etc. in the last few years. That is so sweet that Nicholas is so concerned about Mike. We are thinking of all of you and will be in touch soon.

We hae been saying a lot of prayers for Mike and all of you. Yes it sounds like you should have had a tape of yesterday. Mike is such a funny and good hearted guy I am sure everyone did love him. We love all of you too. More than you could ever know. Tara keep us posted as you have time. We understand how busy you are. God Bless!

Dianne and Gammy