Sunday, December 16, 2007

Here Comes the Sun

We were beginning to think we’d not see the sun at all while here. It only took 22 days for it to finally come out! What a beautiful sight - it instantly perked us up!!

On Saturday we went to the orphanage. We were able to ask the driver to stop at a couple places for photos on the drive there, and unlike last time he actually understood!

Nicholas has his numbers 1 through 10 down pat. The Wise Director asked us to teach her the days of the week and she will work with Nicholas on those when we’re not there. She is the best! Nicholas tried a yoghurt drink for the first time and he really likes them - which is great as I think he needs quite a few doses of calcium!

As we were leaving the orphanage there were a group of boys out front sliding on the ice on the road. We stood and watched them while the driver finished his cigarette. The boys would run as fast as they could on the snowy part of the street and then when they hit the ice strip they would stoop down and slide down the street. They were having a blast. Mike was the first to say “I hope they don’t fall or they’ll crack their head”….he’s officially a Dad now!! :o)

On the way home we stopped at the FoxMart. We got lunch at the mini-cafeteria at the front of the store. They have a prepared sandwich that Mike and I both like. It’s like fried corn with chicken and a mustard/mayo sauce with lettuce. It doesn’t sound that good - but it tastes great!

After lunch we went shopping - we got some shoes, shirt, undies, and a hat for Nicholas. We also found some Christmas presents for him (and not just oranges, Richard! :o) ). We went to the check out and our total was quite big. Mike handed the money to the cashier and she ran the bills under the black-light to make sure they were not counterfeit. Then an alarm went off at her register! I didn’t hear the alarm but poor Mike was convinced that we had bad bills and was imagining us being hauled off to jail. An employee then came up to us and was talking to us in Ukrainian. Mike was so panicked he said “Sorry, we don’t speak English!”, which was an odd thing to say. She turned bright red. She put her hand on the back of our cart and led us to the customer service (this is when Mike told me about the alarm - and now I was freaking out). We got to customer service and the employee handed us a bag with sunflower oil and mayo….then we realized that the alarm was for the “Lucky Shopper”!! :o) Wow - too bad we didn’t have video of that as I bet we were quite a sight!

We got home and watched the Eddie Murphy movie “Coming to America” in Ukrainian! :o) Somehow it just seemed more funny!

Today we went out for a walk. The sun was out and there was some fresh snow, but it was bitterly cold. We saw a sign at the gas station which said the temperature was -5 C (23 F). Which doesn’t sound that cold but the humidity was 77% and it bit right through to the bone. We found another outdoor market but frankly it was too cold even for me to shop (although I did try)! We stopped off at a café and had an espresso to warm up. Then we carried on walking and decided to finally try the pizza restaurant near our apartment. It’s called New York Street Pizza - and it was actually pretty good. We asked the cashier if she spoke English and she grabbed a guy who turned to us and said, “Have a good day” and seemed really pleased with himself. Unfortunately it was all he knew, but he was a funny guy. We laughed along with him and he pulled out a piece of paper with the pizza toppings in Ukrainian and English. With lots of pointing, and more laughing as Mike still tried to order by needlessly butchering the Ukrainian words, we got a ham and mushroom pizza - and it was great…and actually cheap! :o)

Tomorrow we’re off to the orphanage.

Thanks for all the comments. You have no idea how much we appreciate them and they get us through the days!

Love to all…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to receive your messages telling us about the weather, Nicholas and your drivers. It must be funny to experience what you are going through.

Nicholas is learning fast. That is so great. I bet the sun did look good. Everything looks better when the sun is out.

Glad you are having some good times shopping and sampling all the kinds of food. Enjoy every minute as you will be able to recall all these stories in the future. Nicholas really has a good heart wanting to share everything. I just want to shed a few tears when I hear how sweet he is and his love for you both are sure coming through with his actions. Love, Dianne & Gammy

Nataliya said...

Oh, this "Lucky Shopper" story is hilarious! I can imagine how you guys imagined yourself in jail :) I know it was not so funny for you! But I'm glad to hear the good end of the story :)

You are so lucky to have the Wise Director - what a great woman!

I'm so impressed with Nicholas - what a smart kid and a fast learner! You must be so proud of him!

Kathy and Matt said...

It sounds like Nicholas is learning fast, and it's great that the Wise Director (love that title) wants to learn and help him. She must be wonderful.

I cracked up at your lucky shopper story. I can only imagine the panic that Mike felt!

Glad to hear you've had some nice weather. That always helps boost your spirits.

We're enjoying your posts, so thank you for sharing the journey with us!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm so late in catching up on Mike and Tara's Excellent Adventure which must now be changed to Mike and Tara's and Nicholas's Execellent Adventure. I'm so happy for all three of you that all the waiting and hard work as paid off. Sounds like Nicholas may have been waiting the longest. Hope you'll soon be on your way back to the USA. I agree - you should write a book about all of this! Love to all three of you and a safe trip home!

Unknown said...

Hi Guys,
It is good to hear that Nicholas is learning fast. I am sure in no time he will have mastered the English language 'Up the Cherries' and 'Bournemouth 1 - Gilingham 0', although given your experience of watching Bournemouth more likely the other way round.

Glad to hear about the oranges I have bought my two an apple as well.

Richard, Sharon and the boys

ArtworkByRuth said...

I think the "Lucky Shopper" experience would make a good TV sketch! So glad things are going well! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

So glad the wait is nearing the end. We had some ice and freezing rain here-no snow! Will be glad when you're heading home.

Nicholas sounds like a great learner. He will blossom in just a short while.

You should write a short story, but you and Mike must portray the characters. I can only imagine your experiences. You make it very vivid, almost as if we are there.

Love to all "3"
P & D

junglemama said...

Love the Luck Shopper story! So encouraging to read your posts.

God Bless.

Ashley said...

I cannot stop laughing over "The Lucky Shopper" story! That is so funny!

Nicholas is such a sweetheart. I am so happy that you were able to open your heart to an older child.

I am praying for all of you!