We've been asked that question so many times! Why did you choose to adopt from Ukraine? Neither Mike nor I have ancestors from Eastern Europe. Well, honestly, there's a simple answer - we felt like it was where we were meant to adopt!
When we decided on adoption we spoke with our dear friends, Arman and Donna. They put us in touch with friends of theirs who had adopted. When we spoke with them we heard their adventure and the generally positive experience they had in Ukraine. I say "generally positive" as there are road bumps in every adoption.
Over the next few weeks/months we heard about Ukraine everywhere. It was like a road map suddenly opened and giant neon signs were pointing us to Ukraine. The next movie we watched in our Netflix queue was set in Ukraine ("Everything is Illuminated") and it turned out I had bought the book on which the movie was based previously but not read it yet! The small shop where we went for notarizing adoption documents (in our very small town) just happened to have been recently bought by a nice guy - who had adopted a little girl from Ukraine in 2001! There are countless other signs that we have seen since then. The most recent being last week. I was in DC for work and we saw an Irish band one evening. The band was fantastic and this week while listening to their album I went to their web site - and sure enough - two of the guys are from Ukraine!
We are so excited for the up-coming changes! Mike is from England, my ancestry is Heinz 57 Mutt (English, Scottish, French, German, and with a name like Tara - there must be some Irish somewhere), and Boris will be from Ukraine. Sounds like a true American Family!
7 comments:
I think it's a great answer - it was meant for you to adopt from Ukraine!
I loved the movie "Everything is Illuminated", even though I cried at the end. Now I need to read the book.
I cried at the end too - it's so sad. But I loved the Alex character in the movie (the translator) - he cracked me up!! The book is very different as there is a "sub-story" going on. I can bring it with me to UA if you want to borrow it!
Tara,
Felix and I were also led to adopting from Ukraine - we feel exactly the same way. How can I email you?
Heidi from Longmont, CO
Hi Heidi -
You can email me at phc17tlw@yahoo.com
Talk with you soon!
Tara
Ukraine is a wonderful choice. We have one daughter originally adopted from there but readopted by us here in the US, and now we have started the prcess to adopt from there and actually travel there this time.
God Bless.
I love the new look of your blog!
Thanks Nataliya!! I was ready for a change so I did the blogger upgrade which allowed me to then pick a free layout from Pyzam.
Post a Comment