Well - I thought the next big adventure would surely be our trip to Ukraine - but the powers that be (this time my job was the power) has sent me to Barcelona, Spain!! I'm here for only one week so I'm hoping I can get in as many sites as possible in that short time - as I'm in training each day until 6:30pm. I had hoped that Mike could come with me but he's swamped with work and could not get time off.
I arrived Sunday afternoon and after checking in to the hotel - I summoned up my courage and walked up the street to the metro (subway). I bought a 5 day pass and hoped on the first train! I had watched Samantha Brown's "Passport to Europe" (my fav show on the Travel Channel) about Barcelona and I had my trusty Barcelona DK book with me.
I decided my first stop would be Sagrada Familia church which the architect Antoni Gaudi started in 1883. I took the green line metro and while riding there was an announcement about the Sagrada Familia stop - I then noticed a piece of paper taped to the wall of the train that also mentioned Sagrada Familia stop - and of course I could not read much else as my high school Spanish was failing me - so I assumed it was saying that the stop was closed for construction or something similar. So I got off at the metro stop prior to the Sagrada Familia and started walking. It wasn't long before I had to stop walking and start taking pictures. Everywhere I looked there were beautiful buildings. Then I took a photo of a traffic circle with a statue....I've no idea who the person is - but his statue is lovely! I'm so glad I took that photo because as I was framing the photo on the camera I caught a glimpse of the Sagrada Familia spires. I walked a few blocks and there it was!
I decided to not go in yet as my friend, Dawn, will be here in Barcelona with me Tuesday and I was sure she'd want to see it. So I got on the metro and went to La Rambla - which is a pedestrianized street with vendors selling crafts and many street performers. I watched a few of the street performers and then walked down to the sea. It is so beautiful and obviously a favorite past-time for the citizens of Barcelona as it was so crowded.
Mike always gives a "first impression" of a city and I guess my first impression is - "WOW!"...and my second impression is "OMG - it's so humid!" :o) Anyone who knows my hatred of humidity is laughing right now.... I moved1,500 miles from VA to escape that nasty humidity! But the beauty of Barcelona is tempting me so much I'm trying to overlook the not so fresh feeling.
2 comments:
WOW Spain!! My parents were there a few months ago and fell in love. I'm so jealous. Have a great time!
Hope Spain is/was lots of fun. I'm anxiously watching for good news about an SDA appointment. Hope you guys hear something soon!
Post a Comment