I'm asking for some suggestions....
For the first year our adoption social worker suggested that Nicholas not watch any tv to avoid the over-stimulation. Well - we didn't quite make NO tv but I must say we've done fairly well. He typically watches about an hour per week of tv shows and maybe one movie per week (if we have time for the movie). So - at most 3 hours per week. Well - now we're thinking we can start to expand that but we need help finding "nice" shows. He's been watching shows we tape from PBS but I think he's outgrowing those shows (Between the Lions, Reading Rainbow, etc). We've not allowed him to watch anything else because frankly I think the shows for kids are awful. Disney is targeting shows to tweens about high school and they talk about dating and I just don't think he needs to see all that yet! He comes home from school telling us about all the stuff the girls are talking about (kissing, boyfriends, etc) that they pick up from "High School Musical" and "Hannah Montana".
So - are there any tv shows out there that your kids watch? Here's what I'm looking for....basically something like the Brady Bunch. Where the kids RESPECT the parents and don't talk back. And the parents aren't made to look like idiots so the audience gets a laugh. I'm so tired of tv shows where (usually the Dad) is made to look like a bumbling idiot so the kid can point out all his flaws for a giggle.
So - are there any tv shows like this or should I just Tivo Brady Bunch?
6 comments:
Both of our adopted kids didn't even show interest in the TV their first couple of months home. We still only watch cartoons, Extreme Makeover Home Addition and occassionally Dancing with the stars, survivor or American idol...
We only have the basic cable so aren't even familiar with the other shows!
I heartily suggest the 60s claymation series Davey and Goliath, which is wonderful for a sweet, engaging family series that teaches character values and lessons. They are available cheap on eBay. (However, the remake of this series in early 2000s are to be avoided.)
I have not seen the following show, but Melissa at http://lovedalready.blogspot.com/ has blogged several times that Walker, Texas Ranger is her Ukie boys' favorite series.
My son *loved* the series Bill Nye, The Science Guy when he was 8 and 9. (He's now in college with a chemistry major ;-) ) These episodes are available free on the web on several sites.
:-)
And may I state Emma is the cutest baby EVER! :-D
William's favorites are America's Funniest Home Videos, Bible Man, and a couple of "old school" (70's-80's) cartoons: Superfriends, and Spiderman and His Amazing Friends. We dvr all of those for him.
Maybe check the library for some kid friendly videos! I agree with Caroline- Emma=QTPIE
My kids love Veggietales...they have them on TV now.
TV Land is good for some reruns of I Love Lucy, Brady Bunch, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Leave It to Beaver...
The Hallmark Channel has Little House on the Prairie, the Waltons and some pretty clean movies.
I've gotten to the point where I set the DVR to record the shows every time they're on so they're there when the kids want something to watch. They add up pretty quickly. I think Maddie has 25 episodes of Blue's Clues that she hasn't watched yet! :)
Hi,
My kids love Discovery channel/kids. They watch Prehistoric Planet, Magic School Bus, which I record on DVR as well as Boomarang - Jonny Quest, Scooby Doo. So they get a little variety and we can fast forward through the commercials. Oh, Jace loves Word World also on PBS. Nicholas may watch it some, if it is on William will, but not too much. William is into History channel, discovery channel and Animal Planet. I don't have to worry too much about his TV watching.
Post a Comment