Monday, October 20, 2008

Catch up!

I'm going to try to catch up on the past two weeks.

We finished the nursery! We still need to have the French doors installed between the nursery and the office - but the rest of it is done and I like the way it came out. There are ladybugs buzzing all around the room. We sure hope the sonogram tech was right and it's a girl!! :o)



Last weekend Nicholas had his Sibling class. We went to the hospital and he watched a video about being a good big brother and how to properly hold a baby. They discussed possible feelings of being "left out" when Mom and Dad get busy with the baby. It was a pretty good class and sure got him excited for the baby to arrive!

I packed a suitcase for the hospital and left it by the front door. It took a few days and then Nicholas finally told me he was worried about me leaving. I explained that it's only for two days and he will get to come visit me in the hospital and meet his new sister. That got him feeling better - but it wasn't until we packed a bag for him (if I go in the middle of he night we'll be taking him to our neighbor's house) that he felt relaxed again!

This weekend we went to the fire station for their open house. Nicholas wants to be either a fireman or a paramedic when he grows up - so he was in heaven!

He got to dress up in fireman gear and run an obstacle course which ended with spraying a hose to put out a pretend fire. He got such a kick out it!! Nicholas and Mike then climbed up in the fire truck driver seat and honestly - I'm not sure if Nicholas or Mike enjoyed it more! :o)

The firefighters gave two demos. They set two rooms on fire to show the difference between a room with a sprinkler system installed and a room without a sprinkler. The difference was quite amazing. How quickly the bedroom without a sprinkler was completely engulfed in flames was sobering.

For the second demo they had driven a monster truck on top of a mini SUV so that they crushed the driver door closed. They brought out the jaws of life and demoed how they use the pry bar to start separating the door and then the hydraulic spreader to get to the Nader pin in the door. Then they use the hydraulic cutter to cut the pin so the door could be opened. It was amazing to watch but I pray none of us ever need that tool!

After we had lunch at the firehouse we headed down into town to a fall festival. Mike, Nicholas, and Ashley made their way through the corn maze.

I sat that out as my ankles were already a swollen mess!

Then we went to the pumpkin patch and found our great pumpkins.


It was a really fun day!


I had a few false labor contractions today. It was enough to get me scared and to get Mike staring at me - like the baby was going to pop out of my tummy just like the scene from the movie Alien! I laid down for a few minutes and the contractions eased off so I guess my body is just trying to get ready for the big day.

We'll try to post photos here as soon as we can of Baby Bump!

Love to all..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi to all:

We wonder all the time if you have left for the hospital. I know you all must be getting excited. It sounds like Nicholas had a real good day and that was good for him to see all the different things he thinks he would like to be as an adult. The pictures are nice and I imagine they really enjoyed picking the pumpkins they wanted. The nursery so so cute and I like the lady bug theme.

Bye til later.

Our love,

Gammy and Dianne

adoptedthree said...

How exciting to have the nursery completed! Now just waiting for your bundle of love!

ArtworkByRuth said...

You know they say the burst of energy you get to nest is closely related to the start of labor...Hope to have great news soon! Don't forget to post the "How Big Was Mommy" picture too! (It took me years before I could laugh at them, because I could still feel how big I was!)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your new addition! And Emily's and my sister's for that matter!! Could be any day for all 3 of you!!